Oak Bay Volunteer Services Society OBVS) assists Oak Bay residents of all ages in need by providing one-to-one volunteer services.
Serving the young to the young at heart, OBVS provides a variety of free services to help maintain our clients’ connections to community and assist with a variety of everyday activities to help maintain an individual’s independence. Our services incorporate elements of companionship, home maintenance, income tax assistance, and transportation assistance. All services are delivered by our team of dedicated and passionate volunteers.
The Board of Directors role is one of governance and oversight. Our Executive Director and other staff are responsible for planning, management and day-to-day operations. As a Board Director, you will be part of the team of individuals guiding the vision and strategy of the OBVS. Your ideas, dedication and skills will help propel the organization to broader impact and effectiveness.
We have an opportunity for two new Board Directors to start in January 2019. Each Board Director serves a two-year term and is eligible for re-election at the Annual General Meeting.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Specific Skills: We welcome a diversity of skills on our Board. Currently we are seeking new Board Directors with any of these proven skills and experience:
- Human Resources
- Business and Community Leadership
- Experience in the Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector
General Skills: ability to work as part of a team; visionary; planning ability; good communicator; knowledge of OBVS; connected in community; ability to review financial information
- Commit to the mission and work of Oak Bay Volunteer Services
- Perform Board governance and oversight role including setting vision, mission and strategy for OBVS; approve budget; review performance of Executive Director; provide fiduciary oversight; ensure compliance with laws and OBVS Constitution and Bylaws
- Attend monthly board meetings (including an Annual General Meeting) and regular committee meetings
- Promote OBVS in the community
- Serve on a board committee
The Board Director role is a volunteer position, which requires a minimum of two hours per month for two years, to attend and prepare for Board meetings. Board and committee meetings are held at Oak Bay Municipal Hall. Board Directors may live anywhere in Greater Victoria but preference will be given to individuals living in Oak Bay.
BENEFITS & RECOGNITION
- Know that you are putting your best efforts toward supporting those most in need within the community Oak Bay
- Contribute your knowledge and leadership expertise to further our mission and goals
- Connect with like-minded individuals who are passionate believers in our vision of a community in which personal quality of life and independence are improved
- Develop Board governance and leadership skills
HOW TO APPLY
Those interested in applying for a Board Director position can submit an application by November 16, 2018 in-person at 101-2167 Oak Bay Avenue or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a question about the position? Contact Coline Neilson, Board Chair, at email@example.com.